Popcorn balls are traditional and all, but come on, you’re not a kid anymore. Plus, you’ve all seen or read about Showtime’s infamous character, Dexter. These spooktacular sweets are easy to make, without turning your kitchen into crime scene of its own!
Using our Southern Hospitality as the stage for these blood-curdling treats, the red velvet cupcakes provide the perfect deep red color, with a snow-white cream cheese buttercream, extenuates the bloody mess!
So we’ll provide the cupcakes & you can do the dirty work!
· candy thermometer
· medium saucepan
· parchment paper lined cookie sheet
· 2.5 c. granulated sugar
· 1 c. water
· 1 c. light corn syrup
· 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Once the candy is cooked you’ll need to move fast, don’t get stuck by not having this ready to go. You won’t need to spray the liner with anything.
2. Add all the ingredients to saucepan & whisk gently until combined. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Stir occasionally until mixture comes to a full boil. At this point you can stop stirring, but make sure you keep a close eye on your temperature.
4. Cook until the candy thermometer reads 300 degrees Fahrenheit (bakers note: be exact with temperature, to low & candy won’t crack, to high & it could burn).
5. Move quickly when candy comes to temperature! Remove from heat & pour into your lined cookie sheet. Allow to cool completely.
· mixing bowl
· 1 c. water
· 8 c. powdered sugar
· 1 tbs. cocoa powder
· 15 drop of red food coloring
1. Combine water, powdered sugar, cocoa powder & red food coloring in the mixing bowl & whisk until smooth.
Take small rubber malate or similar tool & gently hit the glass, making it splinter. Decorate your cupcakes, jagged glass side up & splatter edible blood.